(R-L): Rep. Doris Matsui (D-Sacramento), Sen. Daniel Inouye (D-Hawaii), Yeiichi "Kelly" Kuwayama (442nd), Rep. Sheila Jackson Lee (D-Texas), Terry Shima (442nd), Rep. Adam Schiff (D-Pasadena), Susumu Ito (442nd), Ray Murakami (MIS).
The Smithsonian Institution Traveling Exhibition Service with the Smithsonian’s National Museum of American History and the National Veterans Network to share the inspiring story of the Nisei World War II men who fought with bravery and valor on the battlefields of Europe and Asia, even while many of their family members were held in American internment camps back in the U.S.
The planned tour will bring the Nisei Congressional Gold Medal to the following museums:
• National World War II Museum, New Orleans — Jan. 12–Feb. 17, 2013
• Bernice Pauahi Bishop Museum, Honolulu — March 9–April 14, 2013
• Japanese American National Museum, Los Angeles — May 4–June 9, 2013
• De Young Museum, San Francisco — June 29–Aug. 4, 2013
• Oregon History Museum, Portland — Aug. 24–Sept. 29, 2013
• Chicago History Museum, Chicago — Oct. 19–Dec. 8, 2013
• Holocaust Museum, Houston — Dec. 26, 2013–Jan. 24, 2014
After the end of the tour, the Congressional Gold Medal will be permanently on display in “The Price of Freedom,” exhibit at the National Museum of American History in Washington, D.C.